Ahhhhh... rankings. Everyone wants to know where everyone stands.
I don't know if I could be more tired of rankings. There are rankings fron VH1 on the biggest songs ever, and the worst songs ever, and rankings of big moments in 2004.
Now, everyone wants to rank the Patriots in terms of the greatest teams. Are they number 1? 2? 3? In the top 10? Who cares? Really? Some say "oh they would have beaten the Steelers of the 70's." Or, "Oh they would have beaten the 49ers of the 80's." Does it matter? Do people want to do this simply to open the debate? I think so.
People are to concerned where things rank in temrs of all time. And that's just a ludicrous thing to do. The Patriots are good. They have won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls... so who cares if they could beat the Packers of the 60's? They don't have to play them. But, still.... everybody seems concerned with where people rank.
How does one determine that? How do you 'rank' one song above another? How do you rank an embarassing moment over another? "Well, Uncle Frank getting hit in the jewels at his wedding is more embarrassing than Aunt Jean showing her ass and getting drunk at the family reunion." Is it that important to stack moments like this? I'm not sure of the difference, and I can't understand why people can't appreciate what they have right in front of them.
I wish I had the criteria for the "sexiest man alive," or the "biggest moment in 2004." I think the "Today" show is having a vote on the greatest American. They will end up voting between President Bush, Clinton, Toby Keith, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Nancy Reagan, Lindsy Lohan... when I would wager that the greates American is no one famous, but is in Iraq or Afganistan right now in the heat putting his life on the line and will never be recognized for it.
It just makes no sense to me. Who gets to vote on these things? What qualifies them to do so? Do they have a special 'ranking' degree? Like I said, people fail to appreciate the accomplishments of a person or a team because they are too concerned with where that person or team 'ranks' among everything all time...EVER
Maybe it's because people want to see the best all time, I don't know. But it seems sad to me. Sad that people can't look at things for what they are in their own era.
Because each era is different. There are different circumstances and and personel and elements. Which ultimately make things impossible to compare teams or people from one decade to the next.
For the record "Ranking people, accomplishments, and/or events" ranks number 6 on my all time pet peeves list :-)
Tuesday, February 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Speaking of rankings & comparisons, do you feel that the accomplishments of Mark McGuire, Barry Bonds, etc. should eclipse the records held by "old timers" who did not use performance enhancing drugs?
Post a Comment