Funny enough, I watched the Oscars last night. I don't make it a habit of doing so, but I did. Admittedly, I flipped back and forth from 'Law & Order' but still.
I discovered why I don't normally watch these shows. They are boring. Especially when you haven't seen any of the movies they are talking about. Sure, for the visual Effects and such, they had Spiderman 2 and I saw that. For Sound, they had Shrek 2 - I saw that. But 'The Aviator', 'Sideways,' 'Million Dollar Baby'... For some reason, they hype around 'Million Dollar Baby' makes me not want to see it. I feel like Jerry Seinfeld. Everyone is asking both Rach and I "Have you seen the Baby, you must see the Baby, go see the Baby."
We don't want to see the Baby! I bet it's a great movie (though I know the end now). But these movies, at this status, move into some 'elitist' category, that I somehow rebel against. I have never rented or saw a movie solely based on the fact that it was nominated or won an Academy Award. I have seen movies prior to it being nominated - but then, it feels like I discovered it rather than jumping on the bandwagon. In fact, I'm fairly certain that I have NOT rented a movie based on the fact that it won an Academy Award at least once.
I guess that's why I don't like the Yankees, Cowboys, 49ers, Lakers, 'Lost,' 'American Idol,' 'Microsoft/ Windows,' Shaquille O'Neal, but I think I covered my 'underdog' preferences in an earlier entry,
Outside of the fact that these shows are boring, I don't get a charge out of seeing the dresses. "Oooooh, what did Hillary Swank wear?" (I like saying 'Swank' for some reason, it sounds dirty). "What was Halle Berry wearing? Or more importantly - Who were they wearing? Oh, I MUST know." Also, does anyone else find it wrong that the designers usually GIVE these actresses the dress so they get advertising. These are dresses that cost thousands of dollars. And these are the only people on earth that can who can afford them... one of the biggest mind bogglers; Why do rich people always get more free stuff than people who aren't rich?
So forgive me if, when I turn on this show, I see a room full of obscenely wealthy, good looking people wanting to get an award. The award being: are you the best at pretending you are someone else? This is one of the most prestigious awards in America. It's not "who saved the most lives;" "who gives the most;" "who fed the most homeless people." It is "who is the best liar." You'd think the money was enough, but the kicker is the award gives them the "intro" and consequently leads to more money. By intro I mean, from now on when ever Jamie Foxx, Morgan Freeman, etc. are introduced (even if it is for movies made prior to them winning the award) you will hear "Academy Award Winner" in front of their name.
I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced themselves that way; "Hi you've reached the Voice Mailbox of Academy Award Winner Hillary Swank. Please leave your name..." And it follows them anywhere "Today Academy Award Winner Marlon Brando passed....;" "Academy Award Winner Kirsten Dunst used Proactive..." "Today, Academy Award Winner Glenn Close had an 'unintended' video release..."
Thinking about it makes me angry somehow.
On another note - Over the weekend MTV played some episodes of 'My Super Sweet 16' with commentary from the party throwers. I thought this was an interesting take as I often wondered how these spoiled brats would react to seeing these. I would much rather them do this 15 years from now. Now THAT would be a slap of reality - especially to the guy who threw one. Talk about perspective. I don't like a lot of the things I did when I was adolescent, and I was never thrown a party that cost a quarter-of-a-milliion dollars like these kids.
But anyway, the one I questioned was Ava's. The others I saw had at leasst one other person commenting. Hart had his equally delusional dad. The Roswell chick, had her Roswell friends. And usually there were spurts of reality and banter as they called each other out on some of the stupid things they said or did. But Ava's commentary was just her... that's it. She just spent the show "Oh I look cute," or "My boobs are real," or "picking out the shirtless guys was really fun." There was no teasing, or calling out. Nothing. It was almost as annoying as watching the original. She was still stuck up, spoiled and though there was nothing wrong with what she did - not even in the crying because she didn't get her $40,000 car at her birthday dinner.
Good thing I'm here to make appropriate comments for her.
Tuesday, March 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment