Monday, March 28, 2005

Thanks

Thank you West Virginia University Basketball team!

I grew up in the state of West Virginia as a Mountaineer fan. I have attended numerous basketball and football games. As a Mountaineer fan, I got jaded. We seemed to have seasons of "almosts." I watched the 1988 football team almost win a national championship. I watched a 1993 football team almost play for the national championship (and still lose their respective bowl game). In basketball, since joining the Big East, I have watched us almost beat teams we had no business beating.

The thing is, when predicted to be mediocre to poor, we were mediocre to poor. When predicted to be good, we either underachieved or were good. We rarely - if ever - had 'magic.' That's what I call the intangibles that make a team better than the individual player on that team. Some call it heart; some call it chemistry; I call it 'magic.'

Even in 1998 - the last time we made the NCAA Basketball tournament - we didn't seem to have that magic, despite going to the Sweet 16. We had some good players.

Now in 2005, we have a good team. The players themselves are good, but unselfish. On any given night, any player can be the hero. And our team for the first time showed magic. They over-acheived. They weren't supposed to make the tournament, and they did. Many people did have them winning the first round, but they did. No one had them beating a favorite for the Championship, but they did. And when going up against Texas Tech, people said that WV would be out of gas, going up against a legendary basketball coach in Bobby Knight - there was no way.... but we did.

Then came the game against Louisville. And again, no one gave use a shot. We did not win. But, we almost did.

But this was a different 'almost' than the previous 'almosts.' This was one West Virginia could be proud of. It wasn't a blocked punt in the end zone. This was a team that put a state on their shoulders and took us for a ride. They were polite, and respectful. They played hard. They brought their best game. They fought, and came up short.

I think many of the 'almosts' of the past were frustrating because we were supposed to win. Or at least have a realistic shot. But with what John Beilein has done for this West Virginia program, and the character he has built on this team, he has made the state proud.

I have talked to a couple people who were upset at the game; to end the season like that was disheartening. Not for me. Every team in that tournament will end their season with a loss except for one. And we outlasted every team in the Big East that was supposed to make it further. And we made it further that some "great" teams, like Wake Forest, Duke, Syracuse, Washington, Alabama, Georgia Tech, Florida, UConn Cincinnati (who has the coach we originally 'courted' - pun intended) and it makes me proud.

Thank you for showing a fan base that was becoming more and more cynical - that there is hope.

I want to say 'Thank you' to Beilein and the players. They have done more for me as a West Virginia fan over the past season than I could have ever imagined. I care about the sport, but this year, I cared about the team. So, thank you for showing me a team that leaves everything on the court, and has the character to congratulate the other team when we lose. This is what college sports is supposed to be about. We went through some very disappointing times in the last couple years of Gale Catlett's coaching. NCAA violations, selfishness of the players, not meeting potential.... it was - at times - sickening. But Beilein and his players - along with the tremendous character of Tyrone Sally (the last Catlett player) - cleaned it up and found a true gem of a basketball team.

One I will fondly remember for years. And when I get together with my friends - we will not get frustrated with the 'almosts' of the past, but look at this 'almost,' shake our head and grin from Eer to Eer.

1 comment:

jilcee said...

I totally agree that we have found magic in Coach B & this team . . . His belief in his players, their abilities, and the university in general (yes, we can get good players to come to WVU!)has created a fan base like no other. I would add my thanks to this incredible coach, staff, & team . . . March Madness was Mountaineer Madness for me! Coach B has made believers of us all!!!