Saturday, April 09, 2005

Oddities in Advertising

What was the thought process behind M&M minis? Are M&M's so large that they needed to be miniaturized? The weirder thing is, they actually taste a little different.

How much would you pay for convenience? At least once a week I pay $1.25 for a 20 oz. soda as opposed to $1.49 for a 2 liter bottle. So that means convenience is worth about .04 cents an oz. to me.

I will pick up something if it's free. I usually do not care what it is - if someone is giving it away, I will take it. I actually have one of those pill containers that separate medication by the day that I got at some health fair... the only thing I take daily is allergy medicine - I have no need for this... at least for now. By the time I do need one though, I won't have to pay for it dammit. I can use the savings to pay for my 20 oz. sodas.

Vincent D'nofrio wears nice suits on Law & Order - how can his character afford those?

As far as snacks go, I'm not sure I can find a better combination than beef jerky and Mountain Dew. Simply perfect.

The Partnership for a Drug Fee America has a commercial where they let the water out of a pitcher with goldfish in it to simulate 'huffing' (inhaling aerosol cans). The golfish scramble frantically around as the water gets lower and lower... and I can feel myself getting anxious for the fishies. Man, that commercial creeps me out.

Back to candy. Who determines the size of 'Fun?' I see 'Fun Size' candybars and wonder what formula was used to determine that 2.5 inches is the size of fun - for candy. How does that make the other candy feel? How many fun sizes are in a regular size? What about King Size? The King Size can boast all it wants that it's the largest of the candy, but it's not fun. I like a good piece of chocolate every now and then, but really, I can't say I have ever had 'fun' eating a candy bar. I think I would like to have the job of determining how much equals 'fun.'

I wonder if I removed the cookie dough from Cookie Dough ice cream if I could make cookies. That would be perfect wouldn't it? 2 desserts.

Whilw we're on the subject, I wish advertisers would stop using ambiguous words to sell their product. Did you know Chee-tos are "Dangerously Cheesy"? Oh yeah, if you eat a handful of Chee-tos apparently you are taking your life into your own hands. If something happens to you or a loved one while eating Chee-tos you can't sue either. They'll just pull out a bag and show you where they implicitly warned you.

I may be the only person in the world who would still get a Late Fee from Blockbuster AFTER they elimated them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but you totally ripped off my bit about the Mini M&M's -- I'm certain I performed that bit on the golf course at one point. I'd even like to include Ryan in this debate, and I demand proper credit.

Z said...

Not exactly sure about if Adam is correct about the M&M bit. I can't clarify either way. I think I have heard this before, but I am not positive. Funny post overall though.

Anonymous said...

Um, yes, you have heard it before -- from me! Ryan, just so you know, Trent is nervous as a kitten that you are online but not on Instant Messenger.

jilcee said...

This is hilarious!