Monday, October 17, 2005

My Last Name and My Weekend

People always mispronounce my last name- Zundell (ZUN-dull). Sometimes it's major - the worst being "zoon-deli." The most common is; zun-DELL. Now over the years, I have gotten used to it. Occasionally I will mispronounce it myself on purpose so it's spelled correctly, but people I work with - people who should pronounce it correctly - will mispronounce it.

I made a decision last week - to start mispronouncing last names. I have put up with it for so long. Sure I correct people on the first or second mispronunciation, but I let it go if it persists. I think it's disrespectful. So from now on - Dinger is Dinjer. Markowski is Marklesee, Starr is... well, I get no choice there, but I want to see what others do.

I saw a fantastic football game this past weekend. I know Notre Dame and USC got a lot of press, and deservedly so. But in the Big East - WVU vs. Louisville - classic. WVU down 24-7 in the 4th quarter and they came back, tied it, and then won in triple overtime. We almost left early like so many did. But I turned to Rachael and said "Let's see what they do here. If we score, we're only down by 10..." Lo and behold, we scored - and then went on to recover an onside kick, kicked a field goal - kick off, have a huge defensive stop and then score a touchdown... unbelievable. Then it went into OT - and that was edge-of-your-seat excitement... so far on the edge we stood most of overtime.

The best thing though outside of the game, was seeing everyone and tailgating. It's always nice that we have the Green Lot to call home.

Sunday was a far worse football day for me and my wife - Lions lose in the last minute, Steelers lose in overtime, and the Browns lost to Baltimore.

Easy trade off I guess - we'll take a WVU win most of the time.... wins are far more precious in college football.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear my name at least 50 times a day, and at least 50% of the time it's pronounced incorrectly. But I don't mind. They're kids and they just think that Zundell is zunDELL. (Eventhough I have told them, Zundell rhymes with bundle). They also call me Ms. ZunDELL instead of Mrs. Zundell. But I know what they mean.