Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Monday.

Man, what a day. I couldn't get to sleep last night, until about 3:30am. That didn't set me up to have a great day. I woke up kind of cranky, though I'm coming out of it now. But anyway....

So there has been some friction in L.A. The Lakers are the soap opera. It started with Kobe Byant last year and his rape trial hearings. He flew back and forth to games and court. Then in the off season he seemingly pushed out Shaq, and the coach - Phil Jackson who has won 9 titles (I think). He wanted to be the center of the team. Also last year they brought in Karl Malone to win a title. Which they didn't. And he's still under contract there. They will not win a title this year either.

I guess there hasn't been enought drama in L.A. The spotlight was taken from L.A. to Indiana with the brawl. Or Minnesota with Latrell Spreewell needing more than $14 million to make sure his family can eat. So Kobe announce over the weekend that Karl Malone hit on his wife, and he felt betrayed by this. Kobe's wife told him about the incident. I have a number of issues with this. First and foremost, is this something that should be brought up in the national media? I don't think so, but I have a feeling that Kobe needs the attention. So in a post game interview, he mentioned this. He couldn't handle it amicably and felt the need to air it out in fron of the nation. Second, in case you missed it, Kobe was going to court for rape charges (that were eventually dropped). The rape was the dispute - not the fact that he had sex with another woman in Colorado. He did. He wasn't thinking about his wife then. He didn't take her feelings into consideration, His marriage wasn't important, his vows meant nothing. Yet now, for some odd reason, he wants to appear to care. Does he think that people have forgotten about last year?

Next; he got this story from his wife. A woman who went threw public hell not only because the world knew her husband cheated on her, but also for staying with him through it. So a woman who could, quite possibly, be still holding a grudge against her husband, told him this story. Shouldn't you take that with a grain of salt? I mean, admittedly, there are better, bolder ways to get back at him, but shouldn't a hint of doubt enter his mind. I think he is too self centered to think that she could do anything but be hoplessly devoted to him.

FInally, he is focusing on his feelings of betrayal. Ironic. He committed a huge act of betrayal and now he is offended and hurt. Well "boo hoo." I'm not sure he has the right.

What I see is a man struggling to get the spotlight back. He's trying to put himself in the position of "victim" to win back some fans. I'm sorry, but it may take something bigger. I couldn't care less about the NBA. I mean, I'll watch the playoffs. But usually it's to hope that someone, or some team I dislike, fail. When did the NBA turn into the biggest drama since Desparate Housewives? In a time when the NBA needs class the most, leave it to Kobe to knock it down a notch. The NBA needs to try to save itself by doing 2 things - keep the focus A) on the court. Let the play speak. Let the drama come from winns, losses, who will make the playoffs (although pretty much EVERYBODY makes the playoffs). And when possible keep focusing on b) positive acts off the court. There are players in the NBA who do great charity work. They are unselfish and giving. Where are the stories about them? No where I can see.

Thank goodness for football. This will take me through February. Thank goodness for college basketball, that can take me until March/ April. The NHL is probably not going to play this season (if ever again) and the NBA is disgraceful. I may have to turn to NASCAR to have an alternative sport venue.... naaahh, I can simply do without.

No comments: