Friday, December 24, 2004

What a Week

Yikes... what a week.

It's now officially Christmas Eve and we're leaving for West Virginia tomorrow. I have been up addressing cards. Whee.

The best thing is, I've had a few days off from work.

Is there a show out there that is more of a train wreck than "Made" on MTV? I should note that I am almost 30. I grew up with MTV, and have wtched the music channel turn into another network with regular programming. Like any other network, not all programming is great. Sure MTV has the Real World - which isn't as good as it used to be. And that seemed to spawn not only the reality shows on other networks, but all reality shows on that network... including "Made." The premise is this: Some high school kid wants to become something completely opposite of what they are. Geeks want to be cool, fat kids want to be skinny, cheerleaders want to act, and so on. MTV provides them with a professional in that area, and they have 10 weeks to become whatever it is they want to become... they want to be "Made."

Anyway, the thing about it is, I have not seen one show where the kid is likeable. Not once have I rooted for the kid to succeed in their quest. I want them to fail miserably. And they all seem to have the same arc. They whiny kid wants to become great at _________. They are all excited. The coach shows up and tells them how much work they have to put in. They are intimidated by the amount, but still want in. Then somewhere they whine, complain and want to quit. They frustrate the coach almost to the point of quitting. Then they have a second wave of determination and complete the task.

I watched this kid the other day who was overweight. He loved food, but decided he wanted to be a triathlete. He has never been athletic a day in his life... and he wants to do a triathalon. He has no clue what it entails. None. So his coach shows up and tells him for 10 weeks, he has to train twice a day, everyday. The kid mentions how he thought it would be 3-4 times a week. Yikes... so throughout, he complains, and complains, and whines, and complains, and cries. And every few days, he breaks his diet because he feels he has earned it. And like a train wreck, I can't turn away. I have every notion that this kid will fail, but have to see it. Alas, after his coach almost quits, he pours in a little extra effort and completes a triathalon.

Damn. I hate that.

It doesn't show how he celebrated, though earlier in the show he did say that he "lived to eat." So you can imagine what he felt he 'deserved.'

And I sit there, hating myself for watching it... when's the next season of Newlyweds start?

No comments: