Friday, May 06, 2005

Trents are Like Opinions

It hit me today. I was standing in a training class when one of the trainees said "do you have a brother?"

I said, "Yes."

"Younger?"

"Yes."

"Is he in a band?"

"Uhhhh, no...why?"

"Because I know a guy who looks exactly like you."

I have heard that sentence many times in my life. And I find it hard to believe that so many people know someone who looks exactly like me, yet I have never met anyone who looks like me (I cannot count any relatives).

So then I wonder if this is a compliment. I know the girl didn't mean anything positive or negative by that statement... but still. Is it a compliment to look like so many other people? Is it better to look unique? I don't know.

I have no idea.

However, apparently there are a ton of Trents out there. And I haven't met a single one. But who really looks at strangers and says "Hey, that person really looks like me?" It doesn't seem likely. Though people spend 100% of their time with themselves, you rarely see yourself as others see you. Mirrors don't really look like you... I mean you get a good idea, but that's not what you look like... simply because it's a mirror image. So unless you spend a ton of time looking at photographs (which still isn't exactly you, but it's close) you rally have no idea what you look like.

Weird, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel like you live in another world.

Adam