The week gets better. It really does. Especially when I think that I don't have a full weeks worth of work until after the New Year. Sometimes, I get egotistical and think that they won't be able to survive without me, but that's just characteristics I get from my mom... not the ego, the worrying.
No matter how much you make, or the amount of your "disposable income," most people are extremely broke during this time of the year, We are no different. We are paying for a wedding that will take place in May, and now, along with that, we want to buy presents. I say "want" because it's true. A lot of people think they "need" to buy presents, but I know that we don't need to. I know that if we didn't have a red penny, and could not buy a single gift, that we would still be loved by our families, but we want to share and give to others and have a happy holiday. Not that it's about presents. Personally, I am much more happy giving than receiving... but receiving is nice too.
I am a NY Mets fan. Since 1983, I have liked the Mets. You can check my little league baseball cards. Not that anyone would accuse me of being a bandwagon jumper for the past 15 years. They did go to the World Series in 2000, but lost to the Yankees. Anyway, over the past few years I have watched the Mets spend money on free agents who are beginning the down slope of their career. I don't know why. Maybe they hope for one more year of magic. Let me see if I can remember them: Roberto Alomar, Mo Vaughn, David Cone (the second time around), Jeremy Burnitz, Todd Zeile, Kenny Lofton, Ricky Henderson.... I can't remember any more. Only one has panned out to contribute significantly, and that was Robin Ventura. Recently, Pedro Martinez was signed. Pedro was a great pitcher. But, he seemed to have lost some stuff over the past couple years. He still has ok stuff, but surely he doesn't warrant the contract that he got. 4 years. He's 32 years old, and he got a 4 year contract. I can only hope that he can sustain a level slightly higher than mediocrity.
I am a victim of fandom. I like the Mets, and the Detroit Lions in the NFL. The Lions have not won a championship since before the AFL - NFL merger in the 60's. And since then have been to the playoffs a handful of times, and haven't won a playoff game since 1991. I became a fan when the Lions drafted Barry Sanders - the best running back I have ever watched. Yes, I got to watch Walter Payton, but I don't remember it well. It was the early 80's.
And then there is my beloved Mountaineers of West Virginia. The perennial let down. Being a fan of WVU, is similar to being a fan of the Red Sox (before this year). They have gotten close to championships, 1988 they played for the National Championship in football and lost to Notre Dame. They got to the Sweet 16 in basketball in the late 90's but didn't go any further. They seem to always have decent years, winning seasons, but not great.
Anyway, that's my sports agony. I say I'm a vicim of fandom, but the truth is I root for most underdogs. This leads to a high percentage of heartbreak. I just can't root for the favorite. I think I am a tad sadistic. I root for losses of anyone who is highly favored. And that extends beyond sports. When I watch the Price is Right, nothing makes me happier than to watch the 2 people bidding on the Showcase Showdown to over bid, and no one wins. In the Family Feud, nothing makes me happier than to see them so close to the grand prize only to come up a few points short. I don't know why it is the way it is...maybe it's jealosy.
Wednesday, December 15, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Am enjoying reading all your posts. The best present I could have will be having you home for Christmas!
Post a Comment