Sunday, January 16, 2005

Sports, Sports, Sports

Obsessed. I guess that's what I can be called. I'd rather say that I'm "involved" in sports. Sometimes I immerse myself. I love my fiancee, I love my pets, I love my family... those will always hold the highest shelf of adoration. But out of hobbies and activities - sports is right there among my favorites.

Playoff football is among us. I love watching the games, rooting for a team - any team. The only thing that I am remotely saddened about is that it means football is almost over. Yesterday I watched the Jets-Steelers. I am from a place in West Virginia that is a "stones throw" away from Pittsburgh. Being as such, I was brought up in a Steeler atmosphere. Now the Steelers are not my favorite team, but they are a solid second. My older brother is a HUGE Steeler fan and wrote about feeling nervous about this game. I didn't have those nerves, but I certainly understand it. Let me rephrase - I didn't have those nerves prior to the game. As the game went on and the Steelers found themselves down 17-10 (without the Jets scoreing an offensive touchdown) I did feel some nerves. The playoffs are so much better when you have a team to root strongly for. The Steelers are my team this year. Anyway the missed field goals by the Jets, and going into Overtime, provided my with a plethora of different emotions within a half-hour.

I think that is why I think that sports is the original "reality show." Despite all the analysis that talking heads do - and I watch a lot of that - there is no scripting and at any given time one team can beat another. Fortunately for me - the Jets were voted from the island yesterday.

Today, I have another full slate. As I type, I am listening to WVU vs. BC in college basketball. BC is 13-0, WVU is 11-2, most recently losing to a 1-10 Marshall team (in state rivals). But again, that's the thing aboue sports. Any team can win. WV is currently beating BC by a small margin.

Also today I will have the Minnesota Vikings vs. the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFL playoffs. Much has been made recently of Randy Moss and his antics. I pay attention to this mainly because Moss is from West Virginia. I think he's a great player, I think there are few who debate that at all. But the way he behaves lacks maturity. However, I think that small things are overreacted to simply because it's Randy Moss. His fake mooning of the Green Bay crowd last week drew him a $10,000 fine from the NFL. I think it was immature, but certainly not "disgusting" as play-by-play man Joe Buck called it. Earlier this year Jake Plummer saluted fans with his middle finger. The connotation is a little more serious. And he got a $5,000 fine. So in the leagues eyes, the fake mooning was worse. Last week, a New York Jet (I can't remember his name right now) clubbed San Diego's quarterback in the head with his forearm. Obviously with malicous intent. It could have potentially, seriously injured the QB. And he drew a $7,500 fine. So again, in the leagues eyes, intentionally trying to hurt another player is not as bad as Moss' fake mooning. These types of things make no sense to me. It just seems like he's being picked on a little sometimes. I am not defending his behavior, but at the same time, the behavior of the league and the media needs some attention as well. Is this something people should focus on all week? I don't think so. It's like a child who cries until someone pays attention to him/her - soon they learn that this behavior gets them attention. The less you react to it the less likely they will be to do it. If this were the "Real World," Randy Moss would be Landon.

WVU and BC are now tied at halftime.

Later today, the Colts and Patriots will play. It should be a good game as well. Mind games all week with New England leaving their field uncovered to the elements to have an effect on the dome team (Indy). Reality TV, I tell you. Emotion, behavior, competition, uncontrollable elements? You can't make this stuff up.

2 comments:

jilcee said...

Enjoyed your recap of the Steeler game. Spoke with Ryan during the game a couple times & after the game. I was a jibbering idiot, & he wasn't much better. Glad to see you're getting a little emotionally invested too!! Get out that terrible towel!!!

Anonymous said...

What is the point of life? If you believe the point of life is to watch, play, and/or participate in the playing of childrens games than thats great, think about it, you must watch a lot of television