Monday, January 09, 2006

Sugar Bowl Victory - as told through text messages (somewhat)

In order to understand the thought process of this story, you have to understand what it's been like to be a fan of WVU sports for 30 years. I can sum it up in one word: almost.

We have never been an "elite" program. Almost.... but we have not been able to put together a string of 4-5 seasons in the top 10 or top 25 in football or basketball. Until recently we have had one football coach in Don Nehlen and one basketball coach in Gale Catlett. Very good coaches over a long period of time. That said, we rarely won games we weren't supposed to. In basketball we would win a regular season game... but we would almost win more...which means we lost in heartbreaking fashion. This has been ingrained in WVU fans, and with Rich Rodriguez coming in as football coach and John Belein as basketball coach a lot of us are trying to change our thinking, but it's hard. But the key is they have. Until recently - it's "almost." Almost winners, almost great...Almost Heaven

So pessimism is the best defense. Pessimism guards WVU fans from being disappointed, because we have gotten used to it.

We start at halftime of the Sugar Bowl because that's where the story starts. WVU went up 28-0 on the University of Georgia in a game where no one gave us a chance, and UGA had closed the gap to 31-21 at the half. My younger brother, Adam, and I then had a text message conversation that lasted the rest of the game...

Adam 10:59 pm - We are going to lose

I don't think he 100% believed that statement, but was trying to keep himself and me from getting our hopes up.

Me 10:59 - I know. But I will watch anyway.

Just like WVU to keep things close enough to keep us watching

Adam 11:02 - might as well. we can't stop the pass and we can't get to the qb in time

So it stays 31-21 for almost the entire 3rd Quarter until UGA completes a 30+ yard pass for a touchdown to make it 31-28.

Adam at 11:30 - What the hell? UGa is going to win. I just wish I bet on WVU to cover.

Again, WVU hadn't done much at all in the 3rd to show that they could hold on... it's like watching someone struggling to get out of quicksand.

Me at 11:35 - Eh. I think they will win it will be OK

I am trying to hold hope... it's waning, but I have to believe

Me at 11:49 - Slippery -- not the lead, Slaton.

WVU tries to put together a drive but it ends up stalling.

Adam at 11:51 - I'm nervous

He's now fallen into hope. He doesn't want to, but he's letting it creep through

Adam 12:06 - I don't feel good about this

He's trying to counter his previous hope. We've been here before. Miami games, Viginia Tech games... other bowl games and we find a way to give it away. We can't stop UGA at this point.

Me at 12:09 - Me either. 4 yards per down... Please.

Right now, all I want is a time consuming drive to keep the ball away from UGA. Anything... WVU makes a couple of really big plays to keep a drive alive. Pat White with a huge 15 yard run on 3rd & 10 - from the WV 5. Then Steve Slaton rips an amazing 52 yard touchdown run out of nowhere.

Me at 1216 -- How do you feel?

I say this because I am soooo excited. I can't believe that run. I need someone to bring me back to earth.

Adam - 12:18 - Long way to go.

Ahhh there it is... thanks Ad.

UGA drives down and with another long pass closes the gap to 38 - 35. We get the ball back... with a little over 5 minutes left. We need to eat clock. Then we get stalled. 4th down and 6. We're about to punt to UGA with almost 2 minutes left.

Me at 12:38 - Sweet mother. I don't like it.

Here's where we punt it away, and UGA makes an incredible drive down to win the game in the final seconds. We've SEEN this before.

And then something happens... we don't punt. We fake a punt and the punter runs for a 10 yard gain, a first down and seals a WVU victory!!!

Me at 12:38 - Holy Shit

I don't believe it. I stood in awe, jaw open, and not knowing how to deal with these new feelings... a feeling of...winning

Adam at 12:40 - Legitimately, I called it.

he's saying he called the fake punt. He knew it was going to happen. No way this happened

Me at 12:40 - You called nothing

We relax now... the game is over. We have won, capping one of the most unbelievable WVU football seasons I have ever seen. A year where we were supposed to do nothing - we beat the #7 team in a BCS bowl.

Adam at 12:42 - I have witnesses

yeah right

Me at 12:44 - Sammy is not a witness

Sammy is Adam's cat. I thought Adam was at home, but he was really at a friend's. Later on a phone call, Adam said he called it by bringing up the possibility of a fake punt (like - "wouldn't it be great it they fake punted here." You'll have to decide whether or not he actually 'called' it

But that's it. That's the game via text message. One of the most amazing experiences in my WVU football memory documented by technology (I downloaded the 15 minute highlight reel from iTunes too).

On a side note - how surreal is it that the burning of furniture by students and fans to celebrate great victories is now national common knowledge?

Rodriguez and Belein are changing WVU football and basketball and in the process making believers out of every WVU fan, and making WVU fans out of the country in the process.

2 comments:

jilcee said...

To steal a phrase from Tony Cariadi, "It's a great night to be a Mountaineer wherever you may be." He first said this after one of our great wins in the Big East bb tournament . . . Fortunately, he has had many opportunities to repeat it!
Let's go Mountaineers!!!

Z said...

Tom said he called it too, but I don't believe him either.