I'm a doctor!
Ok... maybe not. But we've all done it. If you say you haven't done the following - you are lying, or -in fact - a doctor.
Yesterday a co-worker wasn't feeling too well. At this point I noticed that no matter who you are, if someone tells you that they are feeling off and they don't know why, you ask questions; "Did you eat something different?" "Has this happened before?" "Did you take any medication?" "How long has this been going on?" These probing questions may be valuable to someone who knows what the hell they are talking about.
What do we expect to do with the answers? Do we really think we are going to accurately diagnose anything? Even if we do, would you suggest that this person listen to you over going to a doctor? Especially given the state of malpractice insurance.
Parking -
At work we are in a parking lot upheaval... literally. There is construction going on, so people have to either parallel park on the street close to the building or park in an overflow lot waaaaaaaay away from the building.
Ok. So here's what happens. A car pulls up to the curb first and parks along the side - it's the first on to park. And from then on the cars parallel park simply by filing in behind the previous one. I'm fine with that.
But looking at all of them filed in, and it seems each person either a) thinks the next person is going to pull so closely behind them that it could trap them in or b) that they have no depth perception because there is about 4-5 feet between each car. If they'd just move up 2 feet - I bet 10 cars could park a little closer to the building. I guess this happens when people don't have lines guiding them on how close to be.
It's amazing how people obey lines. "Well the line goes that way, so let's follow it." It's also amazing how angry people get when others don't obey lines. "Look at that ... they're straddling the line, that takes up 2 spaces!"
Think about this - Drive thrus at fast food restaurants, not only have a line showing where the drive thru is (which is necessary sometimes) but a line guiding you AROUND the buildingto pick up your food!! I wonder if this was natural to do, or if someone actually drove off into a bush trying to find the pay window. "I didn't know where to go (sob, sob). I thought the people in the bush would give me my cheeseburger."
"Well now I guess we gotta put a line showin' people where to go."
I just realized how powerful lines can be.
Now, please exit this way ------------------------------->
Thursday, September 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment