Friday, June 10, 2005

05/27/05 Part 2

During the day I had thought a number of times about going to the spa, finding my mom so I could get in her car and grab my tux to try it on. It was starting to worry me that I hadn't yet. Oh well, I had to go meet Nute. He had just called and was on his way. When I got to the apartment, I began to think about everything that needed to be taken and set up. I had to talk to Rach and find out what I needed to take. I gave her a call as Nute and Dom loaded up their car. I received help in what I should take... I felt a little better. Nute and Dom we ready to head out, and I had a thought of borrowing one of their cars. Dom offered his. Cool. He handed me the keys and said "It's a 5-speed." Uh-huh. I then looked at him and explained that it has been a number of years since I drove a stick. I certainly didn't want to recapture my feel for a manual transmission in my friends car, on the beltway in holiday traffic. He agreed. We quickly switched plans and I was going to take Nute's car.

They left, and I began loading. Rachael gave me a call. They were finished at the spa, and she wanted to come home, but didn't want to show up while I was there. I told her to give me a few minutes, and I would call her when I was out. At some point I received a call from my friends saying they were finished golfing. I told them to be there by 4:15 - but I would be there earlier.

I loaded up everything I could - including blank CDs my laptop, quotes, and flowers. I gave Rach a quick call to let her know that I left my car there, and not to worry, I wasn't there. She had stopped by her restaurant for a spell. Then I left.

My mom was at the hotel upon my return. Good. I wanted to try on my tux... and then she told me it had been hanging in the closet all along. Oops. I hopped in the shower. Thank goodness the thing fit perfectly. My mom and I talked a little about the day. Ryan called and made the suggestion that I put on the pants and a T-shirt and leave the rest to put on at the site. I just wasn't thinking I guess, I took off the tux shirt, and began pacing again. I was eager. My mom tried to calm me down. I wasn't nervous about marrying the woman of my dreams, I was nervous about everything going perfectly, the weather holding out, the vendors coming through, and helping provide the perfect day for Rachael. She deserves nothing less.

I still paced.

The time came to go to the Cloisters. Ryan was heading up and he was going to follow me to the site. I grabbed everything I needed, and we were off. We ran squarely into traffic.

This is where everything gets a little blurry, but I will do my best.

We got to the site. I know I either made or received a couple calls along the way in regards to traffic and what not. When I got there I heard the sound of leaf blowers. They were clearing out the amphitheater. There was a lot of bustling about too. I walked in to find things underway from the caterer and the florist. Everything was looking good, and taking shape. I took the flowers and the quotes, and hung them around the amphitheater. I made sure that chairs were set up for my grandparents. The other groomsmen were soon there and pitched in so much. Dan and Vinnie promptly asked me if I needed anything. I know I gave them a couple assignments, but I can't remember what. Glen and Shanda (his wife) arrived and wanted to pitch in as well. Shanda really took over the hanging of the rest of the quotes, and my mom tells me she pitched in a ton.

Sophie was there, on time strolling with Rachel K. I went over to pet Soph often. She calms me. I remember getting help with the programs, and the place cards, and the favors (Ryan and Dad). The table numbers needed placed, the sound equipment was being set up by Nute (with a lot of help from Brian, our DJ). Things were taking shape before my eyes. I talked to the florist and looked at the boutonnieres. I saw the photographer, and told her we would do a few pictures with the groomsmen first, because Rach was running a bit late. It was a flurry of activity - and I can't be sure in what order things happened or who did what. I do know that I would have gone absolutely nuts without my friends, my dad, and my brothers at that point.

I spoke with Rachael's dad who informed me that the reason that Rach didn't go to the spa was because she had been sick with nervousness all day... I did not know that. I figured she just didn't want to worry me. Later I would find that I was right.

Then all of a sudden, I got a call from Rach. She was on her way. I was hustled into the garden area so I wouldn't catch a glimpse. I petted Sophie some more. We got her a little water. Then it was time for a sound check. I got up with Nute and played a little so the mics and everything sounded good. It was getting to crunch time and after a couple minutes, people were arriving. We wrapped it up, and I was told to go downstairs.

Amazing - it seemed as if a couple hours whizzed by in moments. But I was happy Rach was there. I was practically told to go away and everything would be handled. I went downstairs and sat in a room. Adam was with me most of the time. I paced, and Adam sat and talked to me... I looked out the window often to see what was going on.

"Well, now I think we see how you would be on the 'The Apprentice'," Adam said. Hmmm, I can see that. I hope I wasn't too pushy. But, if this were 'The Apprentice' I would have also had a great team. I would have definitely been hired, leaving others in the dust. I would have owned the boardroom, I tell you. Who will succeed? Who will fail? Anyway...

At one point, I am pretty sure I was reading the history of the Cloisters to Kyle...

I think I asked what time it was a hundred times.

People were out there. Adam ran upstairs to check on Rach. I was worried about her coming down and me not seeing her, and me going out at the right time. I know walking out isn't rocket science, but it worried me nevertheless. Adam returned and said that she was ready. The reverend came in and talked to us for a moment saying that someone from the wedding party went up to check on Rach. Behind Reverend Bob, Adam pointed to himself and mouthed "that was me." It was almost time.

I got up and went right outside where the groomsmen were gathering. Adam ran back upstairs to have Rach begin to come down... I think her dad was helping in that department as well. Vinnie was loving it as it was creeping past 6:00 and Danny G. was freaking out. He's notoriously on time. Vinnie wanted to see if we could push it to 6:15 just to watch Dan. Ok. We were ready to go....

The Reverend led the way - Vinnie was behind me, then Nute, Dan and Glen. We started to walk down the stairs and I almost stepped on the Reverend's robes. I had a flash of the Reverend tumbling down the concrete stairs, having to call the ambulance, and having to got to the bullpen and have Ryan (who is Internet Ordained) fill in. With that, I slowed down a little. No sense in getting anyone hurt.

No comments: