Sunday, June 12, 2005

Wedding Part 3

We made it to the bottom of the stairs successfully. Yay. I was pretty emotional, and quelled it by looking directly over everyone, a little trick I haven't used in years.

The day was perfect. All week Rachael and I kept an eye on the forecast, that flipped from rainy, to cloudy, to partly cloudy, to sunny, and finally ended with a 30% chance of a thunder shower. When I was a lifeguard many years ago, I learned that 30% chance of showers usually meant - "no rain, but we want to put in the 30% chance in case there is a shower, so we can say we weren't completely wrong."

In the early evening - the shadows fell in the amphitheater, but sun was all around. I was taking in the day, as my brothers escorted my mom to her seat.

The first bridesmaid (Nikki) started.... this was really happening. All the months, all the time, all the negotiations, and phone calls, and hours on the computer, the spreadsheets, the lists, checklists, stress, weekends, and everything brought us to this moment. And then, Nikki stopped. She bent over and turned around. Melissa was behind her, and Melissa had Sophie. So I guess the puppy was giving them some troubles... Brooks was playing and I could see Nikki and Melissa fumbling around a little. I smiled... "take all the time you need," I thought.

Then she started again. They came down the steps on my right-hand side. One by two by one (Nikki, Melissa and Sophie, and Sharon). Sophie was pretty funny navigating the steps.

There are certain things in life that people always remember. Things that make such an impact on your life (positively or negatively) that they are burned in you mind; 9/11, the Challenger, Graduation, winning the Coach's Award for swimming, tearing my ACL, Ryan's wedding, Adam's wedding, our nephew being born... each and every person has their own moments.

The moment I saw Rachael is now added to mine.

She was looking down to watch her step and (of course) was escorted by her father. The shadows were cooling the amphitheater, but had not yet trickled up to the top where she was walking, so when she walked out from underneath the overhang the sun illuminated her, and seemed to bounce off her dress.

All I could do was hold my breath.... or more realistically, I forgot to breathe.

The moments where they walked around and down the stairs were mainly filled with pulsating excitement. Almost overwhelming, almost bringing me to tears. It's the way I would imagine winning the lottery would feel, or something. Something so unbelievable and rare that it makes you tremble - that's what Rach and I have, and she was now the embodiment of that as she descended the staircase. She was smiling - as only she can - and I fell in love with her all over again.

Then all of a sudden, as her and her dad walked over, my brains decided to take a break. They went out for a drink or something because the reverend asked "Who gives this woman to this man?" Ivan answered ("I do") and put his hand out for me to shake and it felt like it took me 10 minutes to realize it and shake his hand - though it was probably only a second.

I looked at her... but not too long. I found that when I did look at her, I would well up, so I had to look away periodically. The next 20-25 minutes seemed like a roller-coaster - not in that it was up and down...not at all. It was more that it seemed like time would go really slow for a few moments then take off really fast, then slow down again. Like, when the Reverend was asking us questions, it seemed like mach speed, then during the readings things went slower...

At one point I swatted a bee away from Rach and her bouquet.

I was suddenly very happy that I chose to write down my vows. Never at a loss for theatrics, I felt compelled to share and show everyone that the vows were written on AmeriSuites stationary. I thought for a moment about mentioning the bee and being there to swat all the bees away, but I thought that would take me on a rambling path. I stuck to the stationary. I held it in my hands and they shook just a little. I tried to make an effort to speak loudly and clearly. I don't know if you know this about me, but I tend to mumble sometimes.

I handed the paper back to Reverend Bob. I t was her turn.

Funny, she didn't want me to go first. She felt I would make her cry. So she wanted to go first... but I think Rev. Bob switched up on us. Rach was, indeed, crying a little. She was trying to compose herself as she took her sheet from Rev. Bob. I looked at her and said "It's just me." She began, and I just watched and listened. She shook a little too. I squeezed her hand.

I'm pretty sure the rings were next. Ryan had both of them. He's on top of things. He held the rings at Adam's wedding too. When Adam had chosen him to hold the rings, I didn't fully understand. Now that it was my wedding - I did. He's just been the most organized one. Hatched from an egg.

Reverend Bob blessed them.

The sentences were short that I had to repeat. Good thing too. I looked at her. I remember not knowing when exactly to slip the ring fully on her finger, but then I bet it's a nuance no one ever really knows, or cares, as long as it's on there. I remember putting it on there a little bit so I wouldn't drop it. Rachael had a little trouble figuring out which hand was my left. I tried to help. She finally got it and repeated her short sentences as well.

"You may now kiss the bride."

I said "Thank God." And laid one one her. As far as wedding kisses go, I think we did pretty well considering I wanted to spend the next few hours right there.

Reverend Bob introduced us "Trenton and Rachael Zundell." And we were off up the stairs. I remember Rach saying - the girls and guys forgot to alternate. A minor mistake. One no one would ever care about. We walked up to take pictures and we kissed again. Truly the happiest moment in my life.

No comments: