Thursday, August 04, 2005

Are you awake?

Everyone has it happen. They get asked the question that need not be asked - such as "are you awake?"

The other day I was working with newly hired people. I often have my laptop with me and use it frequently. I also talk about my wife some at work. Anyway, I am working along and this guy walks up and asks me a question. I then began searching my computer for the answer. To do this, I minimized all of my windows. My wall paper is of me and my wife kissing at our wedding ceremony. The guy sees this and then asks, "Is that your wife?"

There were probably 5,000 sarcasting comments that whizzed through my brain:
"Nah, just some woman I rented for the day"
"Heck no, she's the 'stunt double.'"
"(sob) not anymore"
"one of 'em"
"what gave it away? the white dress? damn!"
"At that point? Just barely."

Yet, all I could muster was a blank, yet quizzical look. But I think he got my point anyway.

No comments: