Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Buuuurrrrrnnnn

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh.

grrrrrr.

booooo.

Work. Ack. Ick. Ptooey.

Man, work is beating me in the head right now. I've had a rough couple days. I am a manager of a training department. The thing about this is that I have learned about a couple clients, which technically qualifies me to train these clients. I used to train many classes for a variety of clients. But, that's not really my job now. However, for the past few months, I have found myself in the classroom more than I think I should be. Now that - in and of itself - is not what is stressful or difficult. What's particularly hard is that I am expected to train these classes and at the same time, complete all of my management duties. This makes for very long days.

I get at least 5 requests for different pieces of information a day - as a manager. Things that I could do efficiently and effectively under normal circumstances. But now, I can check my email perhaps 4 times a day - due to the class work. This means that most often I am left during class beaks and lunch trying to scrounge up information or complete certain tasks. Those breaks and lunches add up to an hour and a half. So the things get backed up and pile up. I am putting more hours in at home than I used to. I am prepping for class, and going in much earlier and leaving later... I don't mind doing this on occassion, but it is fast approaching a number of months that I have been doing this and I feel like any moment, I may crash.

No one seems to acknowledge that I am training classes. And it leaves me frustrated. At times I feel like I am trying to do the job of 3 or 4 people. My paper work is so backed up it would take me a week to catch up... I mean, a week uninterrupted - but when does that happen?

I should now say that I do like my job. I take a significant amount of pride in my work, and it will all get completed and at some point I can go back to just being a manager - but for now, I am so burned out that I wake up tired, I am ready to go to bed when I get home (though I can't I have to prep) and there is little time to actually do anything, or spend it with my loved one...

I vent to my wife everyday. She is so good at listening (or at least pretending to listen), that if I didn't have that outlet - I would drive myself nuts.

No comments: